Yesterday I made a Quinoa, black bean, soya bean, tomato and sweet red pepper salad.
I just made it up as I went along really, but here’s more or less what I used/how I did it:
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup black beans (I used dried beans which I soaked for 8 hours then boiled for 10 minutes, then simmered for 40 mins but you could used tinned beans if you don’t have the time)
1/4 cup soya beans (I used frozen beans which I microwaved in a bit of water to defrost)
4 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1 small sweet red pepper (or 1/4 normal red bell pepper), diced
2 spring onions, sliced.
1 tbsp Lime juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1. Bring the cup of water + pinch of salt to boil in a saucepan
2. Add the quinoa, cover the pan and boil for around 10 minutes until the quinoa is more fluffy, you might need to add a bit more water if it starts to dry up too soon. After 10 mins, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large bowl to cool
3. Drain and rinse the cooked or tinned black beans, add to the quinoa
4. Add the tomatoes, soya beans, red pepper and spring onions to the mixture
5. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and mix well with a fork. Pour the dressing over the quinoa mix, add the chopped fresh coriander and toss it all together.
6. Eat now or refrigerate and eat chilled later (I prefer it chilled!).
I still had some left over today, so to change it up a bit I added some sweet chili sauce which was really nice.